Note to Teachers and Librarians: Please feel free to reproduce this scavenger hunt to teach students about researching, reading, and writing as well as about James M. Deem in preparation for a school visit.
DIRECTIONS: Use the information found on James M. Deem's website (www.jamesmdeem.com) to answer the following questions. Happy searching and Good Luck!!
1. In what year was Bodies from the Ash: Life and Death in Ancient Pompeii published?
2. In Roberto Wing’s ghost story, what was Old Widow Hanson’s real name?
3. In what year was Bodies from the Ice: Melting Glaciers and the Recovery of the Past selected as a Robert F. Sibert informational award honor book?
4. Name one book written by James M. Deem that is now out of print.
5. When James M. Deem was a high school teacher, what subjects did he teach?
6. What was James M. Deem’s favorite meal when he was very young?
7. In what grade did James M. Deem first become a writer?
8. What was the name of the buffalo soldier featured in his book Faces from the Past: Forgotten People from North America?
9. When Mt. Vesuvius erupted in AD 79, how many feet of volcanic debris and ash was Pompeii buried under?
10. Ötzi the Iceman was found in a glacier only 3 feet deep. How deep had that glacier been in the 1920’s?
11. In the review of Bodies from the Bog from Booklist, what does the reviewer describe as the most striking thing in the book?
Extra Challenging Question! 12. When Miss Moberly and Miss Jourdain have their time travel experience, how many men do they both encounter?